Saturday, January 15, 2011

I'll get you, my pretty, and your little dog, too! ...

The Wicked Witch of the West Lived in my neighborhood...
Let me explain.  The actress Margaret Hamilton lived on the Upper East Side. 

I a small child and Wizard of Oz obsessive
(yes I dressed as Dorothy on Halloween, what girl didn't?).
One day in the supermarket (A&P to be exact). Standing in front of me on the line,
guess who?  Well I didn't have a clue but my mother filled me in.  
"That's the Witch from the Wizard of Oz" she whispered in my ear.
NO! couldn't be... she's not green, she doesn't have a broomstick and she's... really small...

Standing in front of me was a small grey haired woman in a floral dress
and comfortable shoes. You would think at the sight of the Witch I would
cower in fear,  run off to the frozen food and use bags of spinach as my protection.
No she was just another Upper East Sider buying milk and bread at the grocery store...
Disappointing? maybe.  

I think what was  far worse was seeing the pair of Ruby Red Slippers
proudly displayed at the antiques store three blocks from my house.
Every day I would see them, knowing my parents would never get them for me.
Trust me, I could have saved all my allowance money and It wouldn't of made a dent.  




No comments:

Post a Comment